The James R. Wilkins Winchester Battlefields Visitor Center provides an introduction to Winchester’s fascinating Civil War history – and helps visitors discover the places where they can explore that history today.
The center’s outdoor plaza features panels on the 6 major battles fought in the Winchester area – First Kernstown, First Winchester, Second Winchester, Rutherford’s Farm, Second Kernstown, and Third Winchester.
Inside, the Visitor Center features exhibits, an orientation film, handouts, guides, and helpful staff and volunteers… providing a compelling overview of Winchester’s Civil War history and helping visitors explore the battlefields and partner sites throughout the area. The center also serves as an orientation center for the 8-county Shenandoah Valley Battlefields National Historic District.
The center also includes a rest room, water, and a gift shop with books and souvenirs.
The Visitors Center is open Monday-Saturday, 10am-5pm, and Sundays from 1pm-5pm.
Admission is free.
The Visitors Center is located at 541 Redbud Road (Route 661) in Winchester, at the northern end of Third Winchester Battlefield Park, a short distance from Exit 317 on Interstate 81.
From Interstate 81:
- Take Exit 317 off Interstate 81.
- At the bottom of the off-ramp, turn onto US-11 North. (If you’re southbound coming to the exit, you’ll turn left; if northbound, you’ll turn right.)
- In a short distance, take the first right onto Redbud Road (Route 661).
- Continue for 0.9 miles, then turn into the visitor center parking lot on your right. Use the crosswalk to cross Redbud Road to the James R. Wilkins Winchester Battlefields Visitor Center.
- See map below. Click HERE for a PDF version of the map.
Third Winchester Battlefield Park Trailhead
The Redbud Road Trailhead for the Third Winchester Battlefield Park is on south end of the parking lot.
For more information, call the Visitors Center at 540-667-2754.