Civil War Trails sign on one of the last remaining defensive forts ringing the city of Winchester.
Three times during the Civil War, Star Fort played a major role in the defense of Winchester. The fort itself was first artillery emplacements for Confederate General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson in 1861. The Star Fort was built on this site in January 1863 by Union General Robert H. Milroy and his men. Its location commanded the Martinsville Turnpike and Pughtown Rd.
Photo and information courtesy of www.hmdb.org
Admission Fee/Ticket Price: