Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation
Historic Sites Emergency Grants
(To download an application, click the links at the bottom of the page)
About the Grant
The Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation has established a Historic Sites Emergency Grant Fund to assist partners in the Shenandoah Valley during the COVID-19 Pandemic. This program is intended to provide support for historic sites who are or will be suffering financial hardship due to the interruption of normal operations caused by the Coronavirus public health crisis. Sites must be able to demonstrate their need by showing loss or expected loss due to reduced visitation and revenue.
- Grants can cover loss or expected loss from the period of March 1 – June 30, 2020.
- Grants should be for a specific time period (such as April-June 2020) that can be compared to actual revenue from 2019 (in this example, April-June 2019) so that sites can demonstrate realistic expectations of revenue loss. Lost revenue can be from admissions, gift shop revenue, registrations, or other clearly demonstrable sources.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate or explain how they determined lost (or expected lost) revenue.
- Awarding of funding is based upon information contained in the application.
- Actual award may or may not equal amount requested.
- Funds may be limited and are dependent upon funds raised by SVBF.
- Submitted applications are not guaranteed funding.
- All award decisions are final.
Grant requests can range from $100 to $2,500.
Application Time Period
Grant applications will be accepted from April 16 – May 1, 2020. Applications must be submitted by 5pm on May 1, 2020. (Important: Mailed applications must be received by the SVBF no later than May 1, 2020, not just mailed/postmarked.)
Applications can be submitted in two ways:
- By emailing a completed and signed PDF version of the application to email@example.com before 5pm on May 1, 2020.
- By mailing a completed printed application to SVBF, P.O. Box 897, New Market, VA (Mailed applications must be received by the SVBF no later than May 1, 2020.)
Who Can Apply
Historic Sites or organizations who run historic sites (including, but not limited to, museums, historic societies, historic homes, and battlefield groups) in the following localities are eligible to apply:
Frederick County, Virginia
City of Winchester, Virginia
Clarke County, Virginia
Shenandoah County, Virginia
Warren County, Virginia
Page County, Virginia
Rockingham County, Virginia
City of Harrisonburg, Virginia
Augusta County, Virginia
City of Staunton, Virginia
City of Waynesboro, Virginia
Highland County, Virginia
Rockbridge County, Virginia
City of Lexington, Virginia
Jefferson County, West Virginia
Berkeley County, West Virginia
The funds for the Historic Sites Emergency Grant Funds are being provided by the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation through the generous donations of SVBF members and supporters. These are private funds and do not include state and federal monies.
Make certain that:
- You answer all questions on the application, including the narrative on the back.
- Your completed application is received by the SVBF no later than 5pm on Friday, May 1, 2020.
To download a printed copy of this information, click here.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540-740-4545.