Final resting place for Union soldiers from the battles of Winchester, New Market, Front Royal, Cool Spring, Harper’s Ferry, Martinsburg, and Romney.
Winchester National Cemetery was established on land appropriated for burials during the Civil War. Although the land was used for burial purposes as early as 1862, the cemetery was not officially dedicated until April 8, 1866. Winchester National Cemetery was the final resting place for Union soldiers who fought and died at the battles of Winchester, New Market, Front Royal, Snickers Gap, Harper’s Ferry, Martinsburg, and Romney. Physically, it was typical of first-generation national cemeteries built before 1870: the grounds were surrounded by a fence and thereafter a wall, a flagpole was centrally located, and a frame lodge followed by a masonry lodge served as an office and dwelling for the superintendent. The cemetery benefited from federal programs initiated during the Great Depression. During 1934 and 1936, headstones were reset and realigned, sunken graves were filled in, existing trees trimmed, new trees and roses planted, and the wall was repointed and repaired. The cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. The cemetery contains 15 monuments, most commemorating units that fought in the battles of the Shenandoah Valley during the Civil War.
Admission Fee/Ticket Price: