Civil War Trails sign on the earthen fortifications constructed during the Valley Campaign.
In the spring of 1862, Capt. John Hunt, US Army built the fortification where the Strasburg water tower now stands. It enabled the protection of the junction of the Manassas Gap railroad and the Valley Pike, and was named after Union General Nathaniel Banks, the commander of the forces there. After a series of engagements, Confederate General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson feinted towards Washington, D.C. to deceive Banks and then turned back into the Page Valley through Luray towards Front Royal. After a fight there, Jackson turned towards Strasburg and Banks withdrew towards Winchester. Jackson would follow him there and with his army defeated Banks, driving him from the Shenandoah Valley.
Photo and information courtesy of www.hmdb.org
Admission Fee/Ticket Price: