Civil War Trails sign on the opening of the Battle of Front Royal and postwar establishment of the Soldiers Circle to honor Confederate dead.
Clear of trees, the hill provided a clear look at the Union deployments in Front Royal for Stonewall Jackson and his men on May 23,, 1862. Jackson’s Artillery commander initially placed his guns at this location, but it was too far away for the guns to reach the Union Artillery nearly 1 3/4 of a mile away. The Confederates in turn moved the cannons up Browntown Road to a hill were Randolph Macon Military Academy stands today. The Union forces were positioned to protect military supplies stored in the town, the Manassas Gap Railroad and the bridges crossing over the Shenandoah River. They would be heavily outnumbered and eventually over run by the advancing Confederates. In 1868 the Ladies Warren Memorial Association re-collected the Confederate dead buried in the Cemetery and buried them in a circle called the Soldiers Circle.
Photo and information courtesy of www.hmdb.org
Admission Fee/Ticket Price: