Civil War Trails sign on the destruction of the mill at this location and General Philip Sheridan’s 1864 campaign.
On October 2, 1864, Philip Sheridan’s 2nd US Calvary Division reached this location and quickly burned the Willow Grove Mill and many other locations in and around Luray. This was the strategic design of Sheridan to prevent areas in the Shenandoah Valley from providing food and supplied to the Confederate army and by the time his Calvary had left the area, over $1,000,000 worth of damage had been done. The mill has since been rebuilt and it prospered into the 20th Century.
Photo and information courtesy of www.hmdb.org
Admission Fee/Ticket Price: