The simple one-room, red brick church, built in 1825, has hundreds of signatures and notes left on its white plaster walls by convalescing soldiers from both armies. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Although a very small structure, this church has served many congregations as they started out. That was the intention of Reuben Moore who gave the one-acre parcel at the center of Mt. Jackson for free use by Christian ministries and for a cemetery. More than a century later, it was used also as a hospital for wounded soldiers from both armies. Their signatures and comments on the interior white plaster walls have been carefully preserved. Outside, closely set tomb stones record the names of the early settlers. The local garden club took responsibility for the care and maintenance of this nationally recognized historic site beginning in 1934.
Open by appointment only
Admission Fee/Ticket Price: