This is an unusual Civil War cemetery because it is all Confederate and those buried there died at a military hospital across the street. Every one of the soldiers has been identified.
Our Soldiers Cemetery is well named. It is small and personal. There are about 400 graves and all of the men buried there had died at a Confederate hospital located across the street, between 1861 and 1864. At the time, the burial ground was just an open field. Local women took charge of improving the cemetery and an iron fence was added. On May 10,1866, the cemetery was formally dedicated but only after the officer in charge of the occupying U.S. troops had approved the speeches. This was during Reconstruction and no disloyal addresses were permitted. A nearly mile-long prossession marched from the town to the cemetery where every grave was decorated with flowers. A white marble statue of a soldier was added in 1903, financed by the local chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. A few years later, money was raised to erect a handsome stone entrance arch. In recent years, researchers were able to identify every soldier buried in the cemetery and thier names are listed on a large bronze plaque. The men were from Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia. On street parking is available when visiting the cemetery.
Admission Fee/Ticket Price: