Published on February 18, 2016

  • Share:
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Email Article

Civil War Trails sign about Peter Ruffner, who built the house in 1739 and later his descendants in Confederate Col. John S. Mosby’s Rangers.

Immigrant Peter Ruffner built the house in 1739, by the time the Civil War erupted, William Chapman had purchased the house and three of his sons would fight for the Confederacy.  Two of whom would fight for Col. John S. Mosby’s Rangers and received the nick name, the “Fighting Chapmans”.

Photo and information courtesy of www.hmdb.org

Open:

Daylight

Admission Fee/Ticket Price:

Free

Address:

440 Ruffner House Lane
Luray, VA 22835