This historic site was built during Robert E. Lee’s presidency at Washington College and is now the final resting place for the General.
Construction on this small chapel building in 1867 at the behest of Washington College’s President, former commander of the Confederate Army and the Army of Northern Virginia, Robert E. Lee. Lee had been offered the presidency of Washington College in the period after his surrender at Appomattox in April 1865. Upon his death in 1870, Lee and eventually most of his family would join him in the family crypt located beneath the chapel. Today the chapel is still in use, along with its use a museum. After the General’s death, Washington College became Washington and Lee in his honor.
9 am to 5 pm
1 pm to 5 pm
Shortened hours November – March
Admission Fee/Ticket Price: