Civil War Trails sign on the Page Valley Iron Industry during the Civil War.
In 1836 two brothers, named Daniel and Henry Forrer purchased the land for a cold blast furnace name Furnace #1. They later built other furnaces in the area including Catherine Furnace and Furnace #2 on Naked Creek. Over 6,000 acres provided the wood for the furnace which was necessary since each furnace consumed over an acre of wood a day for charcoal production to stay in blast.
Photo and information courtesy of www.hmdb.org