The Miller-Kite-Argabright House is an excellent small museum well worth a visit. The house served as Stonewall Jackson’s Headquarters for two weeks in 1862.
This house was built in 1827 by Henry Miller. Jr., the grandson of Adam Miller, one of the first settlers in this part of the Shenandoah Valley. Polly Argabright was one of Henry Miller Jr.’s daughters, and her son was a Captain in the Confederate army. This house, then owned by Polly Argabright, served as Stonewall Jackson’s headquarters for two weeks in April 1862. Stonewall Jackson is believed to have moved his army of 6000 men to Conrad’s Store (now Elkton), located between the Blue Ridge and Massanutten Mountain ranges, because the area offered good exit routes in four directions. A courier named Henry Douglas described General Jackson’s room in the house as “empty of furniture…[Jackson] was lying on the floor upon a thin mattress.” Civil war communications describe the marches of Confederate troops through the Massanutten Mountain and Swift Run gap areas in what is now Shenandoah National Park. The house is currently furnished elaborately and beautifully, unlike when Stonewall Jackson stopped here. A Civil War room houses many artifacts and objects from the war.
May 29 – September 4, Sunday 1-5 pm only
Guided Tours are Available
Call ahead for Group Tours
Admission Fee/Ticket Price: