Published on February 19, 2016

  • Share:
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Email Article

Historic black church that was the centerpiece of Zenda, a post-war community of newly-freed slaves.

Long’s Chapel was built in 1870, a year after William and Hannah Carpenter and the Church of United Brethren in Christ deeded the land here.  The community, made up mostly of freed slaves grew to 17 households of 80 people by 1900.  The grounds included the church, burial grounds and a school where Harrisonburg educator Lucy Simms began her career.

Tour Information:

Visitors are welcome on the grounds

Admission Fee/Ticket Price:



1340 Fridleys Gap Road
Keezletown, VA 22802