Civil War Trails sign about the 1840 structure and its use as a hospital during the war.
The eight room brick house was built in 1840 by Dr. Simeon Jennings, a former Port Republic resident. Along with being a prominent resident of Conrad’s Store (present day Elkton, VA), Dr. Jennings and his wife cared for the wounded Confederate soldiers in their house after the Battles of Cross Keys and Port Republic, June 8-9, 1862. Later in the War during 1864, and Union General Phillip H. Sheridan’s “Burning” of the Valley, Dr. Jennings nearby flour mill was set ablaze.
Information and photo courtesy www.hmdb.org
Admission Fee/Ticket Price: