Civil War Trails sign interpreting the Court Square’s uses in Harrisonburg during the Civil War, including its use as a temporary prison camp.
After the First Battle of Winchester in May 1862, Confederate General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson kept roughly 2,000 Union prisoners in the plank fenced yards surrounding the Courthouse, prior to their removal to Richmond. Soldiers and Civilians drank from the Spring House that has since been rebuilt and it rests at the southeastern corner of the square.
Information and photo courtesy of www.hmbd.org
Admission Fee/Ticket Price: