Civil War Trails sign on the Harrisonburg Female Academy and its use as a hospital during the war.
The structure that this marker refers to was demolished in 1879, yet during the war, the Harrisonburg Female Academy as it was then known, would eventually be used as Hospital in 1861. Harrisonburg Physician Dr. W.W.S. Butler was appointed Surgeon in charge. The building was designated a Confederate General Hospital in 1862. By 1863, some 763 patients had been treated at the hospital of whom only 19 had died, which even by today’s standards is an impressive rate. Many of the men who died at the hospital were interred at Woodbine Cemetery.
Image and Information courtesy of www.hmdb.org
Admission Fee/Ticket Price: