Civil War Trails sign describes Battle of Piedmont
The Battle of Piedmont, fought on June 5, 1864 between Union Gen. David Hunter and Confederate Gen. William E. “Grumble” Jones, ended here. The Union assault uphill against Jones’s fortified line ended in Confederate disaster when Jones was killed while trying to rally his men during a Union flank attack. The Confederate retreat extended across the Middle River to the west, as well as south on the old East Road (present-day Rte. 608). There Capt. John H. McClanahan’s Confederate battery in a rear-guard action, deployed a two-gun section and cut down pursuing Federal cavalrymen as they charged four abreast on the narrow road. The Southerners regrouped at Fishersville, then marched east to the Blue Ridge and blocked the gaps, thereby compelling Hunter to change his targets to Lexington and Lynchburg. New Hope became a hospital, and soldiers who died of their wounds were buried nearby. The Methodist church cemetery contains one marked Confederate grave, and the bloodstained wooden floor in the original church still survives, covered by linoleum. The Battle of Piedmont cost the Confederates some 1,600 casualties, and the Federals lost about 875.
Information and photo courtesy ofwww.hmdb.org