Civil War Trails sign on the weeks prior to the Battle of McDowell and the Confederate units that encamped here along the Civil War era alignment of the Staunton to Parkersburg Turnpike(Modern US 250)
In 1862, the Village of West View consisted of about 15 buildings. Roughly 3,000 Confederates camped in and around this area from April 20 to May 6. Confederates under Edward Johnson came to the area after they abandoned Camp Alleghany 58 miles to the west. Union General Robert Milroy followed in close pursuit of the Confederate forces and using the Parkersburg to Staunton turnpike threatened the town of Staunton, Virginia in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley. General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson quickly marched his men from Conrad’s Store (Present day Elkton, VA) to Staunton by May 4, and then moved on to McDowell to meet up with Johnson and his men. They clashed with the Federals at McDowell on May 9, 1862 and with that victory ended the threat to Staunton.
Photo and information courtesy of www.hmdb.org
Admission Fee/Ticket Price: