Constructed circa 1858, the McDowell Presbyterian church was still a new addition to the community wounded and dying Union soldiers after the Battle of McDowell.
This Highland County Church saw a lot during the Civil War. Damaged by a cannonball during the Battle of McDowell, it housed the casualties of that Battle and many of the dead from that day were buried in mass graves across the road. Also during the war the Church provided firewood for passing troops who took the pews for that purpose, along with its use as a headquarters.
Admission Fee/Ticket Price: