This home served briefly as General Stonewall Jackson’s Headquarters during the Civil War from 1861 to 1862. The museum houses the largest collection of Jackson memorabilia.
This 1854 Hudson River Gothic Revival style house, used as headquarters by General “Stonewall” Thomas Jackson during the winter of 1861-1862 is administered by the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society. Jackson, a graduate of West Point who served in the Mexican War, taught at the Virginia Military Institute for ten years before the Civil War. He earned the name “Stonewall’ at the first battle of Manassas in the summer of 1861. Lt. Col. Lewis T. Moore invited Jackson to use his home as his headquarters. The house contains the largest collection of Jackson memorabilia and also houses personal objects from members of his staff. The headquarters is a registered Virginia and National Historic Landmark.