Text Size: a a a
Print Send to a Friend

Battle of Waynesboro

Augusta County
March 2, 1865


On February 27, Union Gen. Philip Sheridan with two cavalry divisions rode from Winchester up the Shenandoah Valley to Staunton. Turning east, the Federals encountered the last remnant of Confederate Gen. Jubal Early’s Valley army at Waynesboro on March 2. After a brief stand-off, a Federal attack rolled up Early’s right flank and scattered his small force. More than 1,500 Confederates surrendered. Early and a few of his staff evaded capture. Sheridan crossed the Blue Ridge to Charlottesville and then raided south, destroying the James River Canal locks near Goochland Court House. He joined forces with the Army of the Potomac near Petersburg on March 26 for the opening of the Appomattox Campaign.

The Battlefield Today:

To learn more about the Waynesboro battlefield today, click here

Visitor Information:

Waynesboro Heritage Museum
420 W Main St, Waynesboro
Open Tues-Sat 9am-5pm
Tourism Office, City of Waynesboro
301 W. Main St., Waynesboro
Open Mon-Fri 8am-5pm